[GRASS-user] the performance of displaying vector attributes

Zbigniew Perski perski at us.edu.pl
Fri Nov 10 11:18:32 EST 2006

Hi,

I am facing now with following problem:

I have a large databases of points (more 30 000). I would like to
visualize them in colors according to different attributes using
d.vect.thematc and also store rgb information in the GRASSRGB column. I
noticed that both methods are incredibly slow. It is very frustrating
since you have to zoom and wait ages for refreshing the monitor. My
database is stored using db engine. I would like to ask you if storing
the point database using different engine like postgresql or mysql will
have any impact on the performance in displaying the GRASSRGB column?

I did not tested it yet but I am would like to know if it have any sense
to spent some time on such try?

Is there any other methods to speed-up the display performance in my
case? I would like to add that I checked point displaying on various
hardware combinations and I did not noticed any significant difference.
It is always very slow.

Thanks a lot

Zbigniew