[GRASS-user] the performance of displaying vector attributes - with MySQL no difference!!

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Nov 12 17:13:06 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 20:12 +0100, perski at uranos.cto.us.edu.pl wrote:
> I spent some time on it during last days and I sucesfully introduced MySQL database to grass.
> Unfortunately during displaying poits with colors from rgb columns THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in performance comparing to dbf engine. After adding indexes to grassrgb column is still the same.
>
> Any other ideas hoe to speed up this task?

There are a number of things that can be done to speed up database
queries.  I suggest anyone who is using a true SQL database on the
backend, learn how to successfully normalize the database.  Here are a
few links about database normalization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/intro-to-normalization.html

Different databases take different approaches to administration and
performance optimizations, but knowledge of SQL92 generally enough for
successful normalization.

I suspect that other columns in the query are the source of the slow
down.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785