[GRASS-user] Installation problem

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Oct 25 08:34:42 EDT 2006

gotnidea! Business Development Centre wrote:
> I have been trying to install GRASS on my Windows XP Service Pack 2
> laptop with 2 partitions. I am trying to install it on drive it on D
> drive which is NTFS.
>
> The installation process goes on smoothly, till I run the inst_grass
> batch file. It gives message that I need to install MinGW first. But I
> have already done so. Don't know what is the problem. Can anyone please
> guide me?

Where did you install MinGW and Msys ?

In inst_grass the path is hardcoded:

if not exist c:\mingw goto no_mingw
if not exist c:\msys goto no_msys

so if you installed it on d, inst_grass won't find it.

The quick fix: change all references to c:\mingw and c:\msys in
inst_grass.bat to the path where you installed them.

But I think that this should probably be handled by a variable at the
top of the script which the user would just have to set once. I agree
that there is no reason that one should be obliged to use c.

> Earlier I installed GRASS on my C drive, but couldn't load any data.
> Since it was FAT32 drive, I thought of working on my D drive. Both
> drives have separate Windows XP SP2 installed. How can I install the
> GRASS on FAT32 drive?

Please be more precise about this problem. I think that fat32 should
work without any problems. What do you mean by "couldn't load any data".

Moritz