[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel, Garmin USB and Macintosh

Dave Kent dkent at sasktel.net
Fri Sep 22 01:45:59 EDT 2006

Hi all.

I am trying to download gps data using v.in.gpsbabel.  I have a
Garmin C60 gps and am using Grass 6.3CVS on  mac os 10.4.  I am using
the USB connection.

The gpsbabel application on its own works.

When I try v.in.gpsbabel I get.

Downloading Tracks from GPS
[ERROR] XSERIAL: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.usbserial0': ?ÿç No
such file or directory
[ERROR] Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.usbserial0'
GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial0
v.in.gpsbabel: Error retrieving data

I have tried many device names including those in the help pages.  /
dev/cu.usbserial0  in the above example was from   http://
wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/MakingGpxTracks

Has anyone had success with this combination?  What device name works?

Thanks for your help.

Dave