[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel, Garmin USB and Macintosh

Dave Kent dkent at sasktel.net
Fri Sep 22 23:19:09 EDT 2006

Thanks for your and Paolo's help.

GPSBabel+  works real fine on it's own.   I am using the sourceforge
1.3.0 binaries for PPC on a G5 PPC machine.  Grass is your 6.3CVS
binaries. (Thanks)

I can use GPSBabel+  directly to download from the gps device and
save in GPX format.  I can then import the GPX format with
v.in.gpsbabel.  The data goes in as points  in the Location's
coordinate system.  I had thought (and hoped) from the documentation
that track data would import as an arc.  I need to work on this.

The attribute columns  are in the format (in grass) of easting,
northing, elevation, day, time, and a blank column

Nonetheless,  I can get the job done.

I stumbled across utility USB prober  on the system.  It sees the
Garmin device with partial output as follows:

Full Speed device @ 5
(0x4B120000): .............................................   Vendor-
specific device from Garmin International
     Device Descriptor
         Descriptor Version Number:   0x0110
         Device Class:   255   (Vendor-specific)
         Device Subclass:   255   (Vendor-specific)
         Device Protocol:   255
         Device MaxPacketSize:   64
         Device VendorID/ProductID:   0x091E/0x0003   (Garmin
International)
         Device Version Number:   0x0001
         Number of Configurations:   1
         Manufacturer String:   0 (none)
         Product String:   0 (none)
         Serial Number String:   0 (none)

I could not get a response with ls -l cu.*   I assumed this was from
the console.

I listed /dev/ as per Paolo's note.  There are many devices but none
with "usb" in the names.

I am pretty much at a loss in discovering the device name, but it is
not too much of an extra step to go through an intermediate file.

Thanks again.

Dave