[GRASS-user] Problem with installing R/Grass interface on Ubuntu

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 26 06:05:56 EDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Tomas Lanczos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this problem occurs because of requirement of gdal-1.3.1, what I could not
> compile. Do anybody solved this problem on Ubuntu/Debian or have anybody an
> idea? I am just helpless at this point.

Yes, the rgdal R package, on which spgrass6 depends, requires GDAL >= 1.3.1.

Please do consider installing your software from source, if possible
starting from PROJ.4 and GDAL, then R and the packages needed within R
(which will be built from source anyway).

There have been reports of Ubuntu/Debian binary installs putting headers
and libraries in unlikely places needing subsequent manual intervention,
and/or having the list of directories containing shared objects in
unlikely places. It would be useful to have input from Ubuntu/Debian users
showing how they have succeeded, I do not have access to such systems (and
in any case prefer to install these kinds of applications from source).

Please also consider using the STATGRASS list, and reviewing its archives
about this.

Roger