[GRASS-user] Gdal problem with Grass 6.2.2

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Aug 12 04:36:03 EDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 06:22:50PM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <acfransos at aanet.com.au> flavor, containing:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been using Grass6.0 on Fedora Core 3 for a few years.  I bought a
> new computer, installed Fedora Core 5 and installed Grass-6.2.2 ( I
> don't want to be at the cutting edge), with SQLite, Gdal etc etc.
>
> The installation went okay.  However, when I use the command gis m &  i
> get the following error:
>
> g.region: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot

[...]
> SO there seems to be a problem with gdal.  The gdal libraries are
> in /usr/local/lib (including libgdal.so.1) and I am using gdal 1.4.2  .

Make sure /usr/local/lib is listed in the file /etc/ld.so.conf and if it isn't
then add it.  Then run "ldconfig" as root.  The issue is that the dynamic linker
doesn't know to look for shared libraries in /usr/local/lib at run time, but
at compile time it's being told where things are so you don't get errors
then.  It's a fairly annoying thing that you have to watch out for when adding
shared libraries on new systems or into new directories.