[GRASS-user] Database for GRASS

Hamner, Jesse Harrison jhamner at emory.edu
Thu Dec 6 10:33:44 EST 2007

Kurt,

I'm very pleased with MySQL's performance on both linux (Gentoo) and Mac OS
X; a big bonus for me is that I can use the ODBC connector for MySQL with my
statistics package (Stata) and the JDBC connector for MySQL with
OpenOffice's Base. Further, Perl's MySQL interface is very solid and lets me
script lots of GRASS commands and data extraction.

If you take the time to set up and learn a little MySQL, I think it's a
great database engine.

I haven't used FileMaker for years, though it was a godsend during the Mac
System 7.x and Mac OS 8.x days. Now, though, I can't see paying for the ODBC
connector when MySQL's versions work quite nicely.

Jesse

information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
prohibited.