[GRASS-user] GRASS_HTML_BROWSER

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Dec 17 12:05:01 EST 2007

Craig Leat wrote:

> If I click: Help -> GRASS help on the tcl/tk gui, GRASS tries to launch
> konqueror when what I want is firefox. g.manual -i on the commandline gives
> me firefox. I have set GRASS_HTML_BROWSER in two places (see below), but I
> guess I still need to set the variable some place else?
>
> GRASS 6.3.0RC3 (msunduzi_lo31):~ > more .grass.bashrc
> export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=firefox
> GRASS 6.3.0RC3 (msunduzi_lo31):~ > g.gisenv
> GISDBASE=/home/craig/GIS/grassdata
> MAPSET=sewer
> LOCATION_NAME=msunduzi_lo31
> GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=firefox
> GRASS_GUI=tcltk
> GRASS 6.3.0RC3 (msunduzi_lo31):~ >
>
> Any ideas on what I'm missing?

GRASS_HTML_BROWSER is an environment variable rather than a GRASS
variable, so setting it via g.gisenv won't help.

Also setting it in ~/.grass.bashrc will only affect the GRASS shell
and programs launched from it. If you have gis.m launched at startup,
it won't be affected.

You can set it in ~/.bash_profile (etc) to have it apply everywhere,
but that won't affect any shells which are already running. For an
existing shell, type "export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=firefox" before
starting GRASS.