[GRASS-user] PostgreSQL support (was: Grass62 on X86_64)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 14 18:57:10 EST 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:

> The issue is dependencies.  We already have a large number of
> dependencies (as you have noticed).  Requiring another very large
> dependency is an issue, nor do I have the resources to create 5
> different versions to accommodate each and every user (someone may want
> Jasper, or Kakadu, or ECW...Sadly, we can't be all things to all people
> with the current architecture).  Also, keep in mind that most of us are
> not compensated for our work.  We are all volunteers here.
>
> 1 for and 1 against.  Others?
>
> Let's open this up to i386, too, since I also build RPMs for that
> architecture as well.

One issue (which ties in with William Kyngesburye's recent bug report
on the issue) is that using including the results of
"gdal-config --dep-libs" in the linking switches will hard-code those
dependencies (and there may be a *lot* of them) into anything which
uses GDAL. Without those switches, you only need the dependencies for
the GDAL library which you are actually using, not the one with which
GRASS was compiled.

We should probably modify configure.in to check whether GDAL works
with just --libs, and only try with --dep-libs if that fails.