[GRASS-user] 64 bit or parallel processing

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Wed Feb 28 17:48:49 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
>> It may be interesting to try and parallelize the segmentation library,
>> but most of GRASS's raster code needs to be rewritten.
>>
>> two problems:
>> 1) most grass raster modules are serial row based. maybe if the raster
>> format gets updated to a tiled model it would be possible to start
>> parallizing it. (not impossible, NULL and FP support was added in the past)
>> or break up lines into chunks like raster modules that have rows= or
>> percent= options already.
>
> Rows versus tiles doesn't have any impact upon the ability to
> parallelise the code.

It will be easier with a tile based approach to parallelize the code.
The g3d lib implementation allows different tile sizes. So you are able
to define tile sizes (befor open a map) which will fit perfectly into
the memory. Those tiles can be processed in parallel.
I guess a similar approach can be implemented using the segment library
for raster maps.

I hope to get a prototype running using tile based parallelizing
approach in 5 - 6 months. It will be part of the new gpde library and
will use the gpde array implementation for easy data access and because
its thread safe (AFAIKT).
The gpde lib uses OpenMP www.openmp.org for parallel computation in
grass. But only the linear equation solver and the linear equation
system assembler are parallelized. This will hopefully change in the future.

To enable parallel data access will be a hard work in grass and will
only work on cluster file systems. One approach will be to distribute
the rows and tiles to different storage places to enable parallel data
access.

Just my two cent
Soeren