[GRASS-user] SRTM data, postgis and topographic maps

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Thu Jan 4 12:57:36 EST 2007

Dnia czwartek, 4 stycznia 2007 18:15, Bruce Bushby napisał:
> Hello Grass users,
>
> I'm hoping to find somebody who understands SRTM data and wouldn't mind
> sharing a few pointers.
>
> I've downloaded various data sets, GTOPO30, SRTM30, SRTM3 and SRTM1 and

what you mean SRTM30?

> have tried to understand the various DEM formats (geotiff, DEM, binary
> rasta etc)
>
> Is it possible to import the data into a PostGIS database as data rather
> then a BLOB? I was hoping there was coordinate/height data which I could
> use.

POSTGIS use geometric (vector) data formats like points or poligons not raster
data.
For my best knowlede:
- grass didn't support Postgis (yet) in write mode, i.e. grass cannot write
data to Postgis, QGIS can
- BLOB is type of mySQL rateher than PostgreSQL/Postgis and is used to large
binary text obiects, rather to rasters
-MS Acess, SQL Server and db2 (porbably oracle too) (with ArcGIS's
geodatabase) can store rasters in database tables
- Raster can be stored in postgreSQL databases, pixel by pixel (but not
directly from grass). This operation have very limited sense
> My goal is to have grass generate a topo map given a specified
> location/scale and perhaps have a crack at generating movie fly overs.

simply: use NVIZ
> My Grass is compiled with FFmpeg.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

In fact grass (with bash script, awk and the like) is very powerful programing
tool, you can do what you need without databases