[GRASS-user] Re: documentation of georectify tool in gis.m

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 11 12:13:23 EST 2007

Michael,

On 11/01/07 16:19, Michael Barton wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> I'm afraid there is no FM to R. I've been so pushed to plug all the holes in
> making GRASS usable without X11, I just haven't kept up with all the
> documentation. I should probably relook at the mouseover help to make sure
> it is understandable

I don't think that you should necessarily be the one to do this as well.
You have many other things to do, and I think that documentation is the
one thing _everyone_ can help with.

Your description below is all I needed (thanks for taking the time), and
I think something like this would be enough for most people. Should this
go into the gis.m manual page, a separate georectify manual page, or on
the WIKI ? I'm willing to format it to whatever is desired.

> It is pretty straightforward (IMHO).

It is once you understand it. One of my main problems was that I thought
the "ref. map" was what you call the "base map" below, i.e. the one
which is already georeferenced. As you can imagine I have problems

Another counter-intuitive (for me) feature is the fact that erasing
works on the non-selected points. I would have expected the contrary
(although I understand the reasoning...).

In terms of comfort, it would be great if the cursor jumped on to the
next point after a click on the base map. Now, it automatically jumps to
the "geographic coordinates" fields after a click on the reference map,
but this does not happen when you click on the base map.

In addition, if you happen to click twice on the base map, the new
coordinates get written after those that are already in the "geographic
coordinates" field. In my eyes, if you have the cursor in the field and
click on the map, the previous coordinates should be erased and the new
ones written. This would make it easier if your hand slipped while
trying to get a point on the base map.

After having done a georectification, closed the georectifier and then
opening it again with a new group to rectify (but from the same
origin-mapset), there are (logically) no more coordinates in the
georectifier window, but the RMS values from the previous run are still
visible. This could be a bit confusion. I would suggest setting them to
empty at every new start of the georectifier.

Other than that, easy, fast and efficient !

Moritz