[GRASS-user] xwindow, dhcp and grass

Gerald Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 20 13:12:50 EST 2007

This question is only partially related to grass. I'm currently in Rome (at FAO) for a couple of months and want to use xwindows on my laptop to access my linux box with grass on it back home in the states. I'm staying in an apartment that uses a usb ADSL connection (tisoli for those who might know about this). I have tried the following.

1. run xming with the default settings created with xlaunch (starts a passive x server)
2. run either putty or ssh with x tunneling turned on
3. in the terminal window I can type xclock & and the little clock window shows up.

However, when I type grass63, choose my region and then gis.m, if I get anything it takes a LOOOOOONG time for the logo window to appear and the output window, but the gui never shows up.

Any tips on how to do this appreciated. Do I need to set the DISPLAY variable on the linux box? Any other settings I should know about?

Thanks, Jerry
Gerald Nelson
Professor, Dept. of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
office: 217-333-6465
cell: 217-390-7888
315 Mumford Hall
1301 W. Gregory