[GRASS-user] new to GRASS

savitri negi savitrinegi1 at rediffmail.com
Mon Jan 22 02:18:00 EST 2007

hello all
iam quite new to GRASS infact i started it jst a few days back

i downloaded  the source GRASS 6.2.1 source code n compiled it on my redhat enterprise linux machine and i was able to start GRASS
n started using it.
i also istalled the two mandatory gdal n other library

now say i want to display just a .tif image i did the following
i selected the database   a location and a mapset at startup screen after which i was able to see the GIS manager GUI
i have got say a .tif image.
1  ..converted the .tif image into raster using r.in.gdal input=filename.tif output =output raster image name
2  ..started the monitor x0 as d.mon x0
3  ...tried to diplay image on mon using d.rast= outut raster image name

 but iam unable to see anything in the x0 monitor  though the whole process dint showd any errors
though wen i change the background  color in d.rast window i can see a coloured surface of size of my original image on x0 but not the real image
,being quite new to the GIS field iam not able to figure out wat am i missing .
right now i just wanted to display a tif image  or may be a .img file on the monitorr
which iam not able to do
may be anyone of u could help

Savitri negi
DEAL,india