[GRASS-user] new to GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 23 01:40:33 EST 2007

savitri  negi wrote:

> can anybody tell me what is command d.extend used for ?

As the manual page and --help text says:

       d.extend   -  Set window region so that all currently displayed raster,
       vector and sites maps can be shown in a monitor.

The effect is similar to e.g. "g.region rast=..." except that it uses
the set of maps currently displayed on the current monitor rather than
having the user specify which maps to use.

> till ystrday i was nt able to display a .tif file even after setting
> region for raster but then i gave the d.extend command after d.rast
> and was able to display the image on x mon0

One potential issue is that a monitor can have its own current region
which may not match that set by g.region. It may be necessary to run
d.erase after changing the region with g.region, in order to clear any
region stored on the monitor.

[The reason for having a separate region on the monitor is that you
can divide the monitor into multiple "frames" with d.frame, and each
frame can have a different region.]