[GRASS-user] Error configuring grass-gdal 1.3.2: grass libs not found

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue Jan 23 11:04:16 EST 2007

I recently had to recompile gdal so that support for ECW was enabled. I decided since I was changing my compile line, I would upgrade from gdal-1.3.2 to gdal-1.4.0 in the process. I ran make distclean in my gdal-1.3.2 directory, then configure, make, and make install in gdal-1.4.0, all of which proceeded without errors. gdalinfo --formats reports a normal listing of supported file types. Grass compiles and installs normally as well.

The trouble lies with the gdal-grass plugin. An error occurs during compilation, reporting

configure: error: --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs requested, but libraries not found!  Perhaps you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/lib?

However, my LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to include my Grass installation driectory:

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/IVS/lib:/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/

My /etc/ld.so.conf also includes my Grass lib directory:

$cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/local/bin
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib