[GRASS-user] how to install a workable GRASS in window platform?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 26 20:22:34 EST 2007

Raymond Fu wrote:

> I have installed GRASS version from
> http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5, but found many problems. The
> author of the package tells existing GRASS is compability problem with
> new cwygin for this package (from: second last message
> http://geni.ath.cx/wiki_cygwin_grass.html) It seems that there are
> great many difficulties in the compilation.
>
> How can I install a workable GRASS in window platform? Do you have any
> workable package unloaded in the web site? Should I run GRASS in linux
> platform? Should it be the most stable one? What is the common
> platform for most of the user run GRASS run on? It is very urgent to
> install a workable GRASS. Would anyone tell me?

The best supported platform for GRASS is Linux, followed by other
"real" Unices (BSD, Solaris etc), then Cygwin; the native Windows
version is the least well supported (it is labelled "experimental"
with good reason).

The last time I tried, building GRASS using DLLs on Cygwin didn't
work. I don't know if that has been fixed; if not, use the
--disable-shared configure switch to build and use static libraries
instead.