[GRASS-user] Peak point extraction from DEM

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 2 01:03:26 EDT 2007

On 7/1/07 5:46 PM, "Amagine" <amagine at telus.net> wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to extract peak points from a digital elevation map.

(GUI menu: raster>terrain analysis>terrain parameters)

r.param.scale input=DEM output=feature.map param=feature

This will ID peaks, ridges, passes, channels, pits, and planes

> I would like to be able to regulate the following parameters:
>
> Minimum height of peak

A topographic "peak" will have an elevation, not a range of elevations. So
I'm not sure what you mean.

> Minimum drop of surrounding peaks

Not sure what you mean here too.

> Minimum radius from surrounding peaks

use r.distance or convert to vector and use v.distance

> summit points
> optional hierarchy...

I guess these are technical mountaineering terms? So again I'm not sure what
data you are hoping to extract.

> Are there any tools in GRASS that may be able to do such an extraction?

Probably a way to get all this information in GRASS

Michael

> Thank you.
>
> Mars

Director of Graduate Studies