[GRASS-user] Making fake dem's

Roger Mason rmason at esd.mun.ca
Tue Jul 3 11:44:24 EDT 2007

Hello Markus and Wolfgang,

Thanks for your responses.

> why not takeing real DEMs? The SRTM dataset is for free and can be used
> with grass.

Because I want to make specific landscape shapes.  It would be an
immense labour to search the archive of DEM's to find what I want.

> take a look at r.surf.fractal which is creating synthetic DEMs
> for you.

I have GRASS installed on two machines.  r.surf.fractal worked fine on
my machine at home (6.2.1) but does not exist on my work machine (also
6.2.1).  In both cases GRASS was installed from source.  Can you tell
me what libraries r.surf.fractal depends on so I can figure out how to
re-configure and re-build?

Thanks,

Roger