[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1206] Re: rrd files and r.in.gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 27 10:13:50 EDT 2007

Kirk Wythers wrote:
> Does r.in.gdal use the rrd files (the ones that build pyramids to speed
> up viewing) when importing img files? A bunch of land cover images that
> I downloaded came with rrd files (in addition to the imgs, and I'm
> trying to figure out if grass uses them).

Kirk,

r.in.gdal does not exactly import overviews from any of it's input formats.
However, GDAL does support overviews in Imagine files (.rrd files) so if
you tried to import a big imagine files withoverviews into a low resolution
location r.in.gdal would pull from an overview to speed up the import.

Best regards,