[GRASS-user] GRASS Network for Fire-station

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 01:16:47 EDT 2007

Hi All,
In GRASS Net-work analysis please help me build a
network of fire stations (for demonstration) in an
urban area such that the entire city is covered within
a 5 minutes reaction time.

The SCHEME:
1. The existing fire stations are located as point
data, on the existing urban-roads dataset for the
city.
2. The distance that can be covered in 5 minutes by
the fire-tenders will be plotted from each location of
the fire tender. The distance is not as a crow flies
but, on the existing roads.
3. This will show wide gaps in the urban sprawl where
a fire tender cannot reach within 5 minutes, thus a
scope for locating new fire tender stations such that
any fire accident is within 5 minutes from
fire-tender.

Present GRASS Networking:
1. v.net.iso must do the trick by making patches with
distance that can be traveled in 5 minutes, I believe.

Please let me know any existing examples.

Ravi Kumar