[GRASS-user] grass vector files and mapserver

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 15:26:25 EST 2007

I am trying to serve grass files through mapserver. I have been
following the instructions at:

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_MapServer

I have successfully in served grass raster files, but not grass vector
files. If I try and use an HTML initialization file, nothing appears. If
try to do it using a python mapscript I get a glibc error. The layer
information, for the vector file, in my .map file is:

LAYER
     NAME "roads"
     TYPE line
     STATUS on
     CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
     CONNECTION
"/var/www/html/mapserver/grassdata/MDI/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head"
     DATA "1" # Layer number
     CLASS
         NAME "roads"
         COLOR 250 100 0
     END
END

I checked the layer number in the dbln file, and it is:

1 roads cat $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/ dbf

so "1" looks correct. If I run ogrinfo on the header file, I get:

 ogrinfo -ro -so
/var/www/html/mapserver/grassdata/MDI/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head
Warning 1: GRASS warning: GISBASE environment variable was not set, using:
/usr/local/grass-6.2.0
INFO: Open of
`/var/www/html/mapserver/grassdata/MDI/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head'
      using driver `GRASS' successful.
1: 1 (Line String)

Could the GISBASE warning be my problem? If so how do I set this
variable, so ogr and mapserver can access it? I have tried the usual
setenv, and even hard coded the path in the dbln file, but had the same
problems.

Thanks
Jim