[GRASS-user] Error trying to display vector maps

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Mar 8 16:43:29 EST 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:39:54PM +0100, Carlos D?vila wrote:
> Hello all
> Each time I try to display any vector map, I get the error that follows:
> d.vect map=roads color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0 fcolor=170:170:170
> display=shape type=point,line,boundary,centroid icon=basic/circle size=5
> layer=1 lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1
> Sorry, <layer> is not a valid parameter
>
> ERROR: value <roads> out of range for parameter <map>
>       Legal interval: point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face
>
> ERROR: Required parameter <output> has not been initialised:
> Same maps in other computer don't give error. Using 6.3.cvs.
> Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Carlos,

this sort of "parameter shift" happens when the GRASS parser
was changed *and* no complete recompile was done.

You can solve it like this:
make distclean
./configure ....
make
make install

Only a complete recompile will solve this problem. Usually the
parser (lib/gis/parser.c) isn't touched too often, that's why
an update from CVS plus "make" normally works.

Markus