[GRASS-user] correcting radar images for topograhic effects

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Thu Mar 15 06:06:00 EDT 2007

Trevor Wiens wrote:
> Fellow GRASS users,
>
> I'm considering the use of a radar image and have basically no
> experience with using radar imagery. I'm aware that one needs to
> correct for topography by taking angle of incidence into account, but
> am unsure how best to do this.
>
> Anyone pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

This procedure is usually called 'orthorectification'. Search the net
for 'sar orthorectification' and you will find lots of info. This
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~josefk/PUBLICATIONS/kellndorfer_igarss1996_pract.pdf
small article for example will give you an idea of the process (without
much theoretical background on the orthorectification itself).
Note that, to do sar orthorectification well, especially in non-flat
terrain, is often not an easy job.

Cheers,
Vincent.