[GRASS-user] Encountering an error importing shapefiles with v.in.ogr

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:09:59 EDT 2007

> Cannot display areas, topology not available.
>
> I am virtually certain that I was able to successfully import this and
> other shapefiles in previous versions of GRASS (GRASS 4.x & GRASS 5.x).
> The shapefiles files include the *.dbf, *.shp, and *.shx files, which I
> think, should be enough. If I import shapefiles from the US National
> Atlas (created by the USGS), I have no problems. It seems that with all
> shapefiles generated by my office using ArcGIS 9.0, I have this problem.

Similar problem with shapefiles generated using ArcGIS, I recently posted a
topic about (some) areas which are not available after v.in.ogr.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what could be going on?

Hamish suggested using 'v.in.ogr -c ' (does not clean polygons) which didn't
worked for me.
I partially solved using v.in.ogr without min_area and snap parameters but
when patching adjacent shapes I do not some polygons lost area.
Are you experiencing something similar with ArcGIS shapes?

regards
raffaele