[GRASS-user] Dumb Newbie Question - Georectifier

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 21:36:11 EDT 2007

rchirgwin wrote:
> I gave up on the GUI interface because it hung. So I went through the
> command line ... the command line below the output pane.
> i.group
> i.target
> d.mon start=x0
> i.points
>
> After using the mouse Grass was asking for keyboard input. Nothing
> told me where to run keyboard input...
>
> > You can't type stuff into the Tcl GUI "Output" panel.
> ...as I found. But using the "run in X Windows button" at the bottom
> of the TCL panel started the Terminal window, which was not starting
> if I used the GUI.
>
> So that problem is fixed. If there's a documentation project, there
> should be an explicit remark that you have to launch the terminal for
> operations requiring input!

oh, ok. So you are running these commands from the bottom pane of the
"Output - GIS.m" window, and as you've figured out already you need to
run i.points in an xterm. Starting i.points from the menu (Imagery ->
Rectify and georeference -> Set ground control points from raster map)
will open a 'd.mon x0' monitor and open a xterm for you automatically.

Also, there should be a xterm window which was created at startup with a
"GRASS> " prompt in it. The "classic" interactive modules are typically/
historically run from there, and that is what most of the tutorials will
be referring to. Command line access from the GUI Output window (or QGIS)
is a relatively new creation.

Hamish

ps- collaborative documentation project:  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de