[GRASS-user] getting started

Huub Munstege hmunstege at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 17:42:27 EDT 2007

Ha Russel,

A few weeks ago I was in a similar position. Reading of good manuals (like: http://grass.itc.it/gdp/manuals.php / and other nice material on http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/conferences/MUM3/workshop/grass/) and some perseverance will do the trick. You will discover that GRASS together with QGIS are at least as functional as expensive ESRI products. To help you quickly further (which will hopefully fuel your motivation) you might follow the next steps:
Create a new location in a directory where you have write permission. In your situation it is recommendable to define it through EPSG code (NAD 83 - UTM zone 10 is code 26910) or you point at a georeferenced file of your location.
After successful creation of your location you can enter Grass again and you will find your location. You might consider creating mapsets if you prefer to seperate basic data from files you create/edit yourself
Next you can import your raster file using the gis-manager (=>File =>Import => Raster Map => Multiple Formats using GDAL).But once again: the above mentioned manuals will be your friend

To other GRASS users of this list: thanks for the interesting mails; many of them (and Google....) have helped me out. My goal is to promote OS software in development work. I have used GRASS to process SRTM data for hydrological analyses. Hopefully we will publish our results in the coming months with Mapserver on the web.

Huub Munstege
PRODEPAM
Badalabougou-Est
Bamako