[GRASS-user] Maximum number of GRASS files within a mapset?

Amaginary Studios amagine at telus.net
Fri Mar 23 20:04:18 EDT 2007

Hmm hmm, I was going to say it is a 'subdirectory' issue most likely...

wow, that's a massive amount of seperate rasters! I suppose
unfortunately the only answer I can offer would be to create another
mapset, or if there was anyway possible to merge some of your raster
content together...

Is there someway to link externally available?

On 23-Mar-07, at 4:38 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Paul Kelly wrote:
>
>>> I seem to be running into a GRASS limitation relating to the
>>> maximum number
>>> of rasters available within a single mapset location, which
>>> appears to be
>>> exactly 32000.  Attempting to create additional rasters generates
>>> the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> ERROR: can't make mapset element cell_misc/test00
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Note: cell_misc contains subdirectories, not files ...
>
>>> which seems to be coming from lib/gis/mapset_msc.c:
>>>  if (access (path, 0) != 0)
>>>  G_fatal_error (_("can't make mapset element %s (%s)"),
>>> p_element, path);
>>>
>>> Is there any way of circumventing this limitation, or is it a
>>> hardcoded C
>>> limitation?
>>
>> I fear it may be a Unix limitation - the maximum number of files
>> in one
>> directory.
>
> Or possibly the maximum link count; cell_misc has a subdirectory for
> each map, and each subdirectory adds to its parent's link count due to
> the ".." entry.
>
> I note that <linux/ext2_fs.h> has this:
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Maximal count of links to a file
> 	 */
> 	#define EXT2_LINK_MAX		32000
>
> So I'm fairly sure that's the culprit.
>
> Changing the directory layout is a proposal for 7.x; until then, the
> only thing that I can suggest is to try a different filesystem, e.g.
> ReiserFS (ext3 has the same 32000-link limit).
>
> --

Amaginary Studios
amagine at telus.net
Phone 250 845 7999

Mars Sjoden
3320 Mount Davis Way
Houston BC
V0J 1Z2

READ CAREFULLY.
By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your employer, to
release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all
NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete
and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered
into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns,
in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me from
any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.