[GRASS-user] YEAH, grassflyer funding

Malte Halbey-Martin malte at perlomat.de
Sun Mar 25 09:59:02 EDT 2007

Hi Mars,

we started this flyer action because we still think that GRASS is
underestimenated / underrepresented in the GIS community although is a
pretty good software package.

A lot of people using GIS software doesn't even know the existence of
GRASS. So we started some promotion activities to introduce GRASS and
its capabilities to the GIS world.

>From my point:
More people using GRASS lead to more people contributing to the source
code / development of GRASS.

I think we should spread the flyer as much as possible, because it's
nothing but sales.

The first thing to start is to spread it on events (IMHO we should
spread it more on non-fossgis conferences, because the people on these
conferences most have an idea about GRASS. I think about conferences
like the EGU in Vienna or Intergeo where are people using GIS, but
mostly not GRASS). A second place where I would like to spread the
flyers would be in Universities. There most of the GIS- user are
educated / introduced to the software.

As we don't have much financial ressources we have to try to find a way
to create *professional* promotion material because we compete against
very big companies... So this flyer is the first real action and
hopefully, some activities will follow.

To come back to your question. This flyer is for events or other places
where GIS-user / GIS- decision makers are to get GRASS hammered in their
heads!

Cheers
Malte