[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] 'where' sql command in d.vect and others

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Mar 25 12:08:08 EDT 2007

Seb wrote:

> > By "display manager", are you referring to d.m or gis.m? d.m is
> > essentially obsolete; any non-trivial bugs are unlikely to get fixed.
>
> Indeed, I was doing this in d.m, and didn't find this problem with gis.m.
> However, how do you tell d.save in gis.m what monitor to use?  I have
> gotten very used to x0-... kind of names, and I don't see these anymore in
> gis.m.  Thanks for your feedback.

gis.m doesn't use monitors, so you can't use d.save on the gis.m displays.

In any case, there are several issues here.

One is the problem which d.m has with option values which contain
spaces, quotes or other characters which are significant to the shell.
I'm not sure that this is likely to get fixed; currently, d.m is
considered obsolete, gis.m is being maintained, and active development
is focusing on a new Python-based GUI.

The most significant issue is that G_recreate_command (which
reconstructs a command line) doesn't appear to handle shell characters
correctly. However, it *should* handle your where= case correctly. If
you run d.vect from the command line, "d.save -a" should show a valid
representation of the command.

Beyond that, it's possible that there is a problem which is specific
to d.out.file, although it's just evalutating the output from d.save.