[GRASS-user] Importing DEM - r.in.srtm: unzip required, please install first

Jarle Pedersen mybigb at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:45:53 EDT 2007

Hi all, first time posting for me.

Running GRASS 6.2 through Cygwin on Windows XP, I'm trying to import a DEM
saved in SRTM-format (.hgt) which I got from
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

Both in the command-line and GUI versions I get this rather curious error:
r.in.srtm: unzip required, please install first

I have no idea what this means, and since I'm working with data at 66deg
north, this is the only source I've found that give me a working DEM. I've
earlier used them through PCI, so I know they work. Unfortunately I've no
longer got access to PCI.

Any help would be most welcome.