[GRASS-user] editing grass postscript maps

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 01:49:28 EDT 2007

Paul:
> > psutils (http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/psutils/index.html), in
> > particular the psnup command, can do this to PostScript without any
> > conversion - I've used it sucessfully many times, although the last
> > was  quite a few years ago now. Perhaps it is installed by default
> > on Debian?

Tyler:
> psnup is ok, but there is no direct way to control the spacing between
> the original ps files, at least not that I can find.

a2ps --margin[=NUM]
       define an interior margin of size NUM

> > But I was assuming there'd be a need to put extra captions and stuff
> > under  the maps and re-arrange them on the page, which psnup won't
> > do.
>
> All I need is a letter in the corner of each plot, which ps.map will
> do without much bother. The captions will be done in LaTeX.

I've just put up a new example in the d.out.file help page demonstrating
this for the new PS driver.

> I have just now figured out what I was doing wrong with the Gimp. I
> was opening the .eps files I had generated with ps.map at 300dpi, but
> the base layer was only 100dpi, so the resolution was 100dpi in the
> final image. Now that I know that, it looks like I should be able to
> get clear, if very large, images out of the gimp after all. So if I
> can't get inkscape to display the raster layer in lovely colour, at
> least I can get a usable image out of that, at least for my thesis.

one trick how to do that nicely: open it at 1200dpi or so, then rescale
down using the rescale tool (Shift-T) + Cubic interpolation. May or may
not give you better results than going to the target size directly from
the File->Open dialog. But you will only lose resoution resampling to
raster, so try hard for a PSutils solution first.

Hamish