[GRASS-user] grass live CD for education

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Sun May 20 16:40:08 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 18/05/07 18:05, wouter.buytaert at scarlet.be wrote:
>> - if so, which distribution to start with (knoppix seems a logical
>> choice and has a good customisation manual)
>
> There's
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/
> which you can combine with the DebianGIS repository:
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

Using PCLOS as your distro, it is easy to set up a custom install, then
run mklivecd to turn your install into a LiveCD. So if your system does
not enable network access (you'll still need your loopback device) nor
enables HDD access, your LiveCD won't either.

This article describes how to do this with QGIS, but installing GRASS
instead/as well  will work just as well.

 http://qgis.org/content/view/63/65/

PCLOS is focussed very much on ease of use, & I have found non-Linux
users to be more comfortable with it than Knoppix LiveCD's. Very much a
matter of opinion though :-)

HTH,

  Brent Wood