[GRASS-user] GRASS on Ubuntu

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 00:58:12 EST 2007

Gary wrote:
> This is probably a dumb comment, but I assume users should be running
> the released revision of grass, not the current CVS, so I don't see the
> need to provide binaries for a moving target. Or does the development
> team believe users should run the CVS?

IMO,

Users should use the stable branch.

Curious users who don't mind bugs and power users who require the latest
greatest features are encouraged to try the development branch. The more
testing the development branch gets, the fewer bugs it will have when stable
users start to use it. Also for new development like the native MS Windows
port, some important features are only available in the devel version, so it is
the only choice.

There is no official recommended version, use what is best for you. Or use a
mix of both if you like.

As for development branch binaries- The development branch is usually usable
for day to day work, so it is a nice service for packagers to provide a
snapshot version if they like to. As long as there is a stable version too, it
doesn't hurt to have the extra choice.

Hamish