[GRASS-user] help needed with creation of (printable) maps

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Nov 8 11:14:37 EST 2007

Illustrator has a plugin that can import, export and help annotate and
draw GIS data: MAPublisher, by Avenza.  A bit pricy, but if
Illustrator is required, that will do it. I use it a lot with exported
GRASS (and, er, other) rasters and vectors (geotiff and shapefile).

On Nov 8, 2007, at 9:24 AM, WolfgangZ wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is slightly off topic, but at least Grass should be used to
> create the base data for maps.
>
> We want to create a map of a part of a mountain. It will consist of
> several layers (DOP, height lines, polygon lines, coordinate
> grid, ...). I've never done something like this and I hope that I
> can get some reccomendations regarding the work flow and suitable
> software to use.
>
> One big problem is that one of my friends prefers to use Adobe
> Illustrator to create one of these layers, but as far as I know
> Illustrator can't handle anything else as paper units and therefore
> all georeferenciation is lost. The advantage of Illustrator would be
> that it is easy to colorize (or fill) areas and create nice looking
> plots.
>
> An other task is to create (a kind of) atlas where parts of the big
> map fits on single A4 sheets. Are there any possibilities to cut out
> parts of a big map and automatically create a grid (with numbers at
> the border)?
>
> I had a short look at gmt, but I find it quite cryptic to use.
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Regards
> Wolfgang

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war