[GRASS-user] object-based classification (vs pixel-based)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Nov 22 10:28:46 EST 2007

Hello,

Some of my colleagues use eCognition for remote sensing data
classification. After having done so for teaching, we are now looking
into the possibilities of replacing proprietary with open source
solutions in research.

eCognition uses an object-based approach to classification as opposed to
pixel-based. As they put it in their brochure:

"The technology examines pixels not in isolation, but in context. It
builds up a picture iteratively, recognizing groups of pixels as objects.
Just like the human mind, it uses the color, shape, texture and size of
objects, as well as their context and relationships to draw the same
conclusions and inferences that an experienced analyst would draw."

Is something like this possible in GRASS ?
Or are there any other open source solutions using this approach ?

Moritz