[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 3 15:38:29 EDT 2007

On Sep 3, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On Mon, September 3, 2007 17:46, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> First thing to check: make sure X11 is installed, it's optional on
>> OSX.  It's on the Tiger or system install disc - run the Optional
>> Installs installer, or find it in /System/Installation/Packages.
>
> That was it. Thanks to Stu and yourself for that tip. Maybe you
> could put
> this info (+ the fact that tcl/tk is included in the package) in
> the notes
> on your download page ?

I thought I had the X11 requirement there, at one time at least.  I
just added it.  Make sure to use the OSX Software Update - there has
been an X11 update since the original 10.4 release, and depending on
the OSX version the X11 installer may not have this.

> Now it works like a charm except for a crash of the GUI trying to run
> v.surf.rst, but I still need to look into this in more detail.

The OSX Console.app is where to look - find a crashlog in ~/Library/
Logs/Crashreporter.

(I hope I'm not presuming to little OSX knowledge, I know you're a
Windows user, probably also linux, but I haven't seen you working on
OSX stuff before ;)

>> When you say GRASS/Qgis, note that my builds of Qgis, 0.8 and 0.9,
>> use GRASS 6.3.
>
> Yes, I saw that. Will have to install 6.3 then. I was a bit afraid of
> putting the professor in front of the "unstable" version. It's been
> very
> stable for me in Debian, but I wasn't sure for Mac.

I don't push it to its limits, but I haven't had problems.  I don't
use 6.2 at all really.  Haven't heard of major problems from other
Mac users that were OSX-specific.

> Thanks again to both of you for the prompt reply.
>
> Moritz

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy