[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Sep 5 01:19:40 EDT 2007

On 9/4/07 3:06 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>> or maybe use an older AFPL GS.  Maybe there's an equivalent in the
>> system somewhere - it already uses CUPS for printing, maybe there's a
>> CLI postscript renderer...
>
> "lpr file.ps" should work.
>
>> Is your GUI printing use of GS the only thing in GRASS that uses it?
>> Does it generate an image, or print-ready postscript?
>
> Looking at mapprint.tcl, it either:
>
> 1. Generates an image and sends it to "lpr". (CUPS will first convert
> this to PostScript, then either invoke Ghostscript to convert it to
> the printer's raw image format or send it directly to a PostScript
> printer).

Will this also work on wingrass? Is there an equivalent command?

> 2. Invokes gs with DEVICE set to a user-defined string. [This one
> looks wrong; it doesn't appear to send the output anywhere.]

Any idea what's wrong with it? It hasn't worked correctly for me, but I
always blamed that on my Mac environment.

> 3. Generate a PDF.

AFAICT needs gs for linux, cygwin, and wingrass. Mac will generate PDF, but
I don't know how to get at the Mac print dialog from the command line.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University