[GRASS-user] Re:status of g-ps.map (WAS ps.map GUI)

Michele michele.rocc at libero.it
Mon Sep 17 10:48:56 EDT 2007

Dear Hamish, Martin and Jachym, thanks for your replies.

I looked to some discussion on ps.map GUI, ps.map itself and the
new WxWidgets GRASS interface as suggested.
I think that ps.map can do good things, but often we do not have
the time to write instr. for it, and maybe a GUI to generate
instructions helps.

> Hi,
> some people were asking, if I could make old G-PS.map (GUI to ps.map)
> available.
>
> It is still available on the server (just hidden), the most "fresh"
> source code can be downloaded and used from  [1], feel free to continue
> in it's development.
>
> However, g-ps.map was only proof-of-the-concept. I was experimenting
> with various programming languages (python) and graphical toolkits
> (tk,gtk,wxwidgets) to find out, which one would be suitable for GRASS.
> G-ps.map was written in python, using PyGTK bindings. Currently wxGRASS
> is written using WxWidgets. You should take g-ps.map code only for
> inspiration (or better not, I had no clue about GUI programming that
> time), do not expect too much from it. The best, what you, who wants to
> continue in the development, can do is to help with wxGRASS development
> and to add this GUI for map creation.

I'm going to consider this (if I can do it), also i think
something is needed now, but if i understood, this wxGRASS
will be 6.4(?) and wxWidgets can not be used with current GRASS code;
is wxWidgets available as a standard pkg?
More to say, but maybe grass-gui list is more appropriate place :-)

Thanks, Michele.