[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii - put1 of 4 columns to 3D point file attribute

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 9 10:21:35 EDT 2008

On 09/04/08 14:55, M S wrote:

> I would like to import the XYZ to build the geometry for 3D points, and
> have only "Cat" and "Code" in the attribute table.  ("Code" being a
> column name for the 4th column in the input ASCII).  I cant seem to find
> the combination of column definitions and other parameters to achieve
> this.  One option seems to import them all as "x double, y double, z
> double, code int", and then after the import, drop the x,y,z columns.
> Is it possible to put the first 3 ASCII column values to the geometry,
> and use only the last column as an attribute?

I'm not sure I really understand your problem. Maybe you could send us
the layout of your file (head -2) and the v.in.ascii command you tried.

You need to specify the _column number_ of your X,Y and Z columns with
the x=, y= and z= parameters, the _column number_ of you cat column with
the cat= parameter, and the attribute columns with the columns= parameter.

So if I understand your file correctly it would be something like this:

v.in.ascii -z [...] x=1 y=2 z=3 cat=4 columns="code int"

You might also want to use the -b flag, as topology building can lead to
overload if the input data file is too large.

Moritz