[GRASS-user] Importing raster and georeferencing file

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 03:10:29 EDT 2008

> Edmondo Elisei wrote:
> > I've imported a .PNG file with r.in.gdal (i.e. map.png) in order to
> > make a georeferencing file. The importing procedure returned 3 files:

> > map.red, map.green, map.blue. I don't know how continue to reach my
> > goal.
Moritz:
> For most raster analyses using the three separate bands is better. You
> can visualise them with d.rgp. However, if it is the original combined
> image you are interested in, you can recreate this with r.composite.

[d.rgb]

also, r.in.gdal will load those as bands into a group (g.list group), and
when you set ground control points (GCPs) with the GUI georeferencing
tool or i.points/i.vpoints, you can then use those points to georectify
all bands in a single command (i.rectify). If you just wish apply
geocoding to the file, either 1) create a .tfw "world file" by hand, 2)
use 'gdal_translate -a_ullr' to make a GeoTiff with that info, or 3) in
GRASS use r.region to name the outside edges and map resolution.

Hamish