[GRASS-user] LOS, Fresnel Zones, Multi-Line wave propagtion and GHz communications

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Apr 17 16:58:12 EDT 2008

Funny you folks brought up SPLAT!  A slightly more user friendly version
of the program (free but not open source):
http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

You can read about my experience with the program here under wine:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=580

SPLAT has the drawback that it can only use the 3 arc second DEMS. Radio
Mobile can use (in theory) DEMs down to 1/3 are second. The drawback to
both programs is the fixed array size. For splat, the size is fixed at
3600x3600. Radio Mobile can vary the size, but no larger than 2000x2000.
These programs are old, dating back to the days when computers were very
limited in RAM and speed.

One nice thing about both programs is they read back the height at the
transmitter location. Since the DEM doesn't show the peak altitude but I
suppose an average over the region, the altitude used by the program is
often less than real life. I find a get more accurate results by finding
the altitude used by the software, then adding enough to it to reach the
known altitude of the peak.

When I get the chance, I'll do some comparisons between the programs.

Incidentally, one real annoyance with r.los is that it can't accept
lat/lon.

Here is an example of using GRASS for a similar study: