[GRASS-user] Vectors in WMS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 24 15:58:05 EDT 2008

WMS is not limited to rasters. One can also serve the WMS results as
SVG, which is a vector format. SVG is supported by Opera, Safari and
Firefox.

However, there aren't many WMS that support SVG.

WMS servers symbolized maps, though, and not original vector geodata. To
get unsymbolized original vector data, you'd choose a WFS service.

Andreas

Maris Nartiss wrote:
> I'm sorry to disappoint You, but WMS deals with raster and not with
> vectors. Vectors You can get with WFS or similar service. If You by
> word "vectors" mean roads, rivers etc. displayed as raster in WMS
> service, then You should:
> 1) Download data as rasters (r.in.wms);
> 2) Extract objects of interest (r.mapcalc);
> 3) Run r.thin to get thin lines;
> 4) Convert result to vectors with r.to.vect.
>
> Still You can create buffers and other analysis on raster data.
>
> Maris.
>
> 2008/4/24, Daniel Victoria <daniel.victoria at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've found some vectors of interest on a WMS server (Brazilian
>> Environmental Ministry) and I'd like to save those vectors locally so
>> I can do operations like buffers, distances, etc etc, I've seen the
>> r.in.wms. Is there such a functionality for vectors?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Daniel

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6