[GRASS-user] Error when defining projection from a georeferenced file, help needed.

Andrew Parker andrew at source3.com
Sat Apr 26 13:06:32 EDT 2008

Hello everyone, I am a graduate student in the Masters in GIS program at
Penn State World Campus.  For my thesis, I will be using GRASS and
R-spatial to look at whether a correlation exists between persons with
asthma and industrial emissions in New Mexico, USA.  I will also be
using MapServer and OpenLayers to make the data (and methods used)
available on the Web.  During the project, I will only be using Open
Source.  Additionally, as part of graduation requirements, I will be
presenting my work at a conference in 2009 (undecided on which
conference).

I am in the process of learning GRASS and ran into an error message as I
was working through the text in Neteler's book "Open Source GIS:A Grass
Approach" (3rd edition), page 37, Section 3.2: Starting GRASS with a new
project.

Side note: installed Grass 6.2.2 using apt-get in Ubuntu 7.10.

After starting a new project using the "start new location with a
georeferenced file" option, I get an error when I click "Define
Location". I am using the North Carolina sample data and using the
gdc.prj for the georeferenced file. The error is as follows:

/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator: to set an icon, please use -name <profile>
and set a profile icon
/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator: to set an icon, please use -name <profile>
and set a profile icon
    while executing
"exec -- $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-xterm-wrapper -T g.proj -n g.proj -e
$env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-run.sh g.proj -c georef=$filepath location=
$fileLocation"
    invoked from within
".fileloc.def invoke"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
    (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
    invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .fileloc.def"
    (command bound to event)

I am new to Linux as well, so any insight on this error is much
appreciated.

Thanks for the help and look forward to being a part of the GRASS
community.

-
Andrew Parker