Geophysics functions [was Re: [GRASS-user] use pi number]

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:19:52 EDT 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008 08:59:33 am Paulo Marcondes wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Paulo Marcondes <paulomarcondes at gmail.com>:
> > I have been interested in implementing potential fields function in
> > GRASS since long,
> > but I don't have the necessary background (I mean, I don't know the
> > equations) or the coding skills.
>
> As for gravity equations, the Geological Survey of Canada has a
> informative page: http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/gravity/formulae_e.php
>
> However, we still don't have an answer to this:
> > I would like to know where all these geophysics modules would fit.
> > I guess not in the i.* series, maybe in r.grav.* for gravity
> > data/functions or r.mag.* for magnetometry data.

Adding some more support behind geophysical routines / examples in GRASS, here
is a simple post illustrating some work with magnetic data in GRASS. See the
link to Stefan Maus' page for detailed descriptions and magnetic models.

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/560

Cheers,

Dylan

--