[GRASS-user] vectors: how to find the gravitation centre of point data ?

"Peter Löwe" peter.loewe at gmx.de
Fri Dec 5 06:27:26 EST 2008

[...]
> > is there an easy way to derive the centre of a cloud of points ?
> >
> > I am aware that the set of vector points ("cloud of points") could be
> > used to stake out a polygon/boundary and use v.centroid etc etc to
> > derive in turn its' centroid, but I am hoping for an easier solution
> > .. ?
> >
> > This issue stems from working with v.to.db: currently it is not
> > possible to upload xy coordinates for "multiploygons" into a
> > database, i.e: Within a vector layer, there might be several
> > boundaries which all share the same category value. If the
> > "gravitational centre/ super-centroid" for these boundaries could be
> > (conveniently) calculated, the v.to.db issue could be taken care of.
>

> Why not use v.dissolve on these polygons and then get the centroids of
> the result ?

This option fails if the polygons don't have common borders. An example for this would be multiple polygons describing spatial exclaves of a territory/county/soil type, etc.

> Another (very wild) guess: what about the mean of the coordinates of the
> individual polygons' centroids ?

That would be great if it could be automated.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Löwe
<peter.loewe at gmx.de>

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a