[GRASS-user] Permission denied (again!)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 22:13:15 EST 2008

nikos.alexandris wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I need it cause we try to
> explore GRASS with a couple of friends and we got stuck on that(!)
>
> First of all:
>
> >grass
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> Starting GRASS ...
> ERROR: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission denied
>
> Then any other attempt to create a LOCATION ends-up with
> exiting GRASS saying to re-log and find the newly created LOCATION...
> which is not there of course.
>
> I try to edit manually .grassrc6 but still no luck with the
> LOCATION creation.

if data was copied from a CD make sure that the GRASS database,
locations, etc. have been given back write permissions, recursively.
(the filesystem cares)

also check that the current user owns the mapset you are trying to
load. (by default GRASS lets you read from anyone mapset but only you
can write to your own)

for the file system test try going to where you are trying to make the
new location and create a new directory, files, etc. That is all GRASS
is trying to do and if you can do that as a normal user, and the same
user as starts grass6, GRASS should be able to it as well.

Also follow up that x-terminal-emulator error. Is this Ubuntu or
Debian?
What version(s) of OS & GRASS?

ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator

Hamish