[GRASS-user] Re: strange behaviour of v.surf.idw

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 09:30:13 EST 2008

Hello Luigi

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Paul Kelly wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Luigi Ponti wrote:
>>

>>> I started using v.surf.idw (for irregularly spaced points) in grass6.0
>>> with no -n flag, then in 6.1 I noticed that the output raster changed from
>>> what it used to be (i.e., some stair-like artifacts appeared) and it was
>>> restored to the original look (i.e., a much smoother look) by adding the
>>> -n flag. By looking at your PhD thesis excerpt, it looks like the -n flag
>>> should only make the interpolation faster
>>
>> It might do, for a small number of points. It certainly uses less memory -
>> that is clear. But for a large number (I'm talking many hundreds of
>> thousands) the overhead of implementing the search radius method is well
>> outweighed by the time saving in not having to search through hundreds of
>> thousands of points for every cell in the output raster.
>>
>> How many points are typically in the maps you used it with? I really can't
>> see any changes between 6.0 and 6.1 that would have affected the output -
>> it's quite intriguing - you can look at the WebCVS yourself:
>> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/vector/v.surf.idw/main.c and
>> see if you can see anything.
>>
>> Paul
>>
> True: the code did not change much from 6.0 to 6.1. Maybe I just happened to
> find a peculiar combination of data that revealed the possible output
> difference with and without the -n flag (I use v.surf.idw in a script to
> routinely map output of ecological models).  Typically, the input vector has
> 108 input points and the raster output is 1207 rows by 1350 columns. Is this
> considered a small number of points?

Yes, I would consider that very small. As you can see in the thesis
excerpt, the size of dataset I had in mind when I implemented the new
algorithm was hundreds of thousands of points.

> Did you avoid replying also to the list on purpose (this is just for me to
> understand mailing list etiquette -- I have limited experience)?

Oops - for some reason I thought you had replied to me off-list, and so I
sent my reply off-list as well. Sorry for the confusion. Back on-list now.

Paul