[GRASS-user] v.generalize for polygons?

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Feb 27 05:35:19 EST 2008

On 27.02.2008 04:19, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a high-res vector area map of regional districts which I wish
> to generalize. I am having trouble with finding the correct method in
> v.generalize to use. Currently every thing I try tends to break the
> area topology and leave only a portion of the now-open boundary.

What methods did you try? What exact commands have you tried that fail?
Can you share the problematic map? (you can email it to me directly)

> i.e. it should preserve nodes, only generalize (remove) non-node
> vertices. We can assume there is only a single boundary line between
> areas, so there shouldn't be topological issues. (or at least only in
> tiny corner cases where the new generalized line overlaps another
> feature, but that should be easy to fix with v.clean)

v.generalize does preserve nodes, and as long as the input map is
topologically correct so should the output map be. Perhaps your
threshold is way off?

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>